Sunday, October 5, 2008

General Conference

I really enjoyed General Conference this weekend. I think it's one of the first times that I actually listened hard and really took everything that was said in. I want to share some of my favorite things that were said. First of all, I really enjoyed what President Utchdorf said both at Women's Conference and General Conference. At Women's Conference, he talked about how a lot of times women undervalue their great abilities. I'm definitely guilty of this and it really helped me realize that I should try not to do that. I also enjoyed when he talked about his greatest happiness being God's happiness and then asking himself what God's happiness was, which is His children. I loved his talk on Hope and how it is linked together with faith and charity. It was neat when he said, "In Winter, we find an invincible Summer." In Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk, I really liked when he said, "Try and laugh, it will make life more enjoyable!" It's so true. No matter how hard life may get, a laugh always helps me in some way. Jeffrey R. Holland reminded me that "Christ has promised to fight our battles." I know that if I do what I am supposed to, then He will take care of the rest! :) I also loved Elder Bednar's talk on prayer. It was grand. I like Hales talk about Christian Courage and how it can sometimes be mistaken as weakness--it is not! When Sister Dalton spoke I liked the saying, "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." That can be applied to almost anything! I liked William D. Oswald's talk on teaching. I want to be a teacher one day (even if I'm not, I'll be a mother) and I learned about this in one of my education classes --> 1. Show love to those you teach and call them by name, 2. Teach from the scriptures, 3. Encourage the ponderings of gospel truths. Well, that's most of the things I wanted to share. Sorry this is scatter-brained!

3 comments:

The Watts said...

Did you take notes? I loved all those same talks, but I could not remember off hand until you mentioned them what most of them were about. I do know that they all seemed like they were written just for me!

Theresa said...

as a mom you will be a teacher. I was actually going over some notes I had taken from spring 2004 conference a couple years ago and one of the talks I think dallin H oaks or it might have been eyring talked about how we must teach the children no matter what stage or walk in life we are and that it is everyone's responsibility not just mothers or teachers,... So yeah,.. you will get to be a teacher. :) but I'm sure that's probably not what you meant. haha. maybe go back and read the old talk though you might enjoy it. I don't remember which session it was. oh well.

Shayla said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on conference. Unfortunately I only remember hearing about half of the things you mentioned. Watching conference can be a little crazy with a toddler. Thank goodness for the internet and conference issues of the Ensign!