Thursday, December 22, 2011

Food for Thought

Last night as I was laying in bed, I found myself thinking about macaroni and cheese. Why, you ask? I have absolutely no idea. The kids in the Toddler lab had it for lunch yesterday at work, but I see kids eating it all the time at lunch. I don't even like mac n cheese that much! It brought me back to a letter I got in October (on Benji's birthday, actually). It reads:

"Dear Cynthia Gebhardt,
Enclosed is a copy of your recent labs. Your total cholesterol and LDL or "bad" cholesterol is elevated which gives you an elevated coronary risk. The recommendation is regular exercise, weight loss and a diet low in saturated fat. Please work on these lifestyle changes and I would like to recheck fasting labwork again in 6 months. All other tests were within normal or acceptable limits. Please set up this lab visit and call the office with any questions. Take care."

Back in September I had to get a physical for work, and the nurse wanted me to get some blood work done after fasting 12 hours. That was the letter I received.
Guys, my LDL cholesterol was 146! That is so bad! It is expected to be under 100, recently changed from under 120 or something like that. Joe's mom said that she has never seen someone with it that high, and Joe's mom and sister have had problems with cholesterol in the past. My mother-in-law suggested that perhaps it's genetics because honestly I wasn't eating that bad, and I was exercising a little bit and trying to lose weight. Well, neither of my parents have high cholesterol, so what is up with me?

Oh, and the part where it says, "Please work on these lifestyle changes..." How do they even know what kind of lifestyle habits I have? What if I was already doing all those things?!

Cheese is BAD for your cholesterol. So, I was thinking perhaps maybe I was craving the cheesy mac n cheese because of my cholesterol perhaps? Well, at least my HDL cholesterol is within "normal or acceptable limits."

I guess I'll have to keep exercising like crazy and eating extremely healthy!

4 comments:

Kerstin said...

I really do think it is genetic. I have had issues with my blood pressure that don't make sense, I wonder if it is genetically connected to your cholesterol issue.

Theresa said...

I don't know how much vegetables you eat in your diet but if not a lot, maybe try increasing your vegetable intake.

I don't have that great of cholesterol either.

Cynthia said...

I think it could be genetics. We'll see if it's down in March. Theresa, ya, I just started trying to eat a lot more veggies. I wasn't eating ton before. I hope it's helping!

Theresa said...

yeah I think with how active you seem the only other thing would be diet change. Hopefully it helps even if it is genetics.