Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Out of the Blue Decision!

So, last weekend while Joe was working, I was just lounging around the house and doing some chores while Ryker played. My sister-in-law came over to have my mother-in-law do her hair. She had just gone to the gym that morning and mentioned that she was trying to get ready for the turkey trot on Thanksgiving. I was like, "turkey trot? What is that?" She told me that it was a 5 mile race in Salem on Thanksgiving Day. She said that she had done it last year and had a lot of fun (she didn't even train and still did 5 miles in an hour, that's 12 minutes a mile!) So this year she is doing it again and training this time. So, I was like "I've always wanted to run in something like this" whether it be a 5k, 5 mile, 10k, half marathon, etc. except I will never do a whole marathon...a half marathon is pushing it.... ANYWAY, back to what I was saying. I said, "I'm going to do it! Send me the registration info." So, she sent it to me, and I signed up! I have 7 weeks to train. Last week I could only run a mile without stopping. Starting this week, I have worked out everyday. Every other day I do a long run and the days in between I either bike for 30 minutes at 90-100 rpms or I do a P90X workout, or both. Well, yesterday I ran a little over a mile and a half without stopping. It took 20 minutes. Slowly, but surely, I am going to go faster and longer until I can do 5 miles. I'm nervous and excited. This morning I did Kempo X for an hour... that was fun! And tonight I'm going to bike for a half hour at the YMCA (glad my membership is free! ). I hope this can be a big accomplishment even if it ends up being awful. I just want to be able to say that I accomplished one of my dreams... to be able to say that I ran in the Wild Turkey Road Race! haha. Another thing that will help is Liana (Joe's sis) and Katie (Joe's brother's girlfriend) will be running it with me, so I'm not alone. I'm kinda sad though because Joe would have liked to run in it with me, but he has to work on Thanksgiving day :( Anyways, I just felt like I needed to ramble for a bit! I hope to add the video of Ryker saying "Da-da" in the next post!

No comments: